Monday, February 17, 2014

"Do what ever you have to, even if that means running someone over"

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourself.” – Philippians 2:3
                When the world says to not look to your right or to your left, there is a completely different meaning behind it then when we hear it here at IGNITE.  When the pastors here tell us to keep our eyes ahead and not look to the side, they are talking about keeping our eyes on the Lord and what is His will.  When the world has said this to me, it was encouraging me to not look at other people’s needs or wants, but to keep my eyes on myself and what I want.   How many times in America do you hear, “you have to do whatever it takes to get yourself to the top, even if that means running someone else over, that is just life.”  Everything in the culture I have grown up in is about self, “What’s in it for me?”  The results of this love of self is heart breaking.  Just one example is how high the divorce rate has become in our country.  Even when the numbers did drop a little, studies showed it was because people no longer were getting married.  Why make a commitment to another person when I can just live with them with no commitment?  As Christians we need to constantly be on guard, so that we too do not fall into the trap of self.
                In the Bible we are told many times, if we want to truly live then we must die to ourselves.   We are to pick up our cross and live being the salt of the earth.  Our flesh so easily gets focused on itself and what it wants, our hearts are naturally wicked.  Yet, God calls us to a higher standard, He calls us to live in J.O.Y (Jesus, Others, Yourself).   And when we follow this plan for our lives, then we truly have His joy and peace.  The verse says “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,” nothing.  That means every day I should constantly be humbling myself below others, and I know that I do not do that.  When we say we need to die to ourselves daily, moment by moment, there couldn’t be a truer statement.  It has to be a constant prayer, we have to constantly be in communication with the Holy Spirit.  I know for myself it can be easier to die to myself in big situations, where the choice is kind of thrust in my face.  But, the Lord calls us to be faithful in the little things as well.  That is when we need to be constantly aware of ourselves and others, making a concentrated effort and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us.  Because, it is with the little things, which are easily brushed off, that Satan tries to work himself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment